As a homeowner, one of the most menacing perils to your house and family is the risk of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated in 2019 that American homeowners underwent nearly $1.6 billion in costs due to unforeseen or careless fires. Sadly, fires are sudden and many times preventable -- if you know where to start. And hopefully you are equipped with a monitored fire alarm that sends you emergency responders ASAP if you undergo an emergency.
What Causes House Fires In Olympia?
Fires can spark anywhere with no warning in the house. However, you can lower the threat of fire by taking countermeasures around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is the leading cause, by a huge margin, of a house fire in Olympia. Kitchen-related flames most often start when the kitchen goes neglected while cooking food. Water used on a grease fire will expand a flame that would on the other hand die out.
- Candles: Nodding off in an area with a going candle is dangerous, even if you’re using a deep candle holder. The flame can easily catch a curtain ablaze if left on a window sill, and pets can topple candlesticks in their playing. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that greater than 7,600 houses were damaged because of candle-related fires between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Faulty electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, aging or poorly set up lighting, and split lamp cords is a big risk. Be sure not to overwhelm your outlets or plug any object in with exposed wires. If for any reason you hear a pop or detect smoke from the outlet, power down the breaker off prior to checking it out.
- Space Heaters: Skip over coiled space heaters because debris, like pet fur, old papers, or covers can end up in and alight. However, you need to make sure to monitor fan and ceramic space heaters at all times when in usage.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments responded to more than 17,000 house fires triggered by cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. If you have tobacco products in the house, ensure they never pass out with a cigarette or lay in bed with one. And fully put out your tobacco items before you toss it into a trash can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Will Help When It Senses A Fire
If a fire happens to break out, you definitely want to have an effective discovery system to alert your spouse and children before it gets serious. A traditional smoke alarm could suffice but is limited to alerting you if smoke is in thick clouds. A cutting-edge fire alarm -- a security device that's pair with your home security system -- can discover both smoke and excess heat and has more features to ensure your family is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has multiple methods by which it can warn you of a fire. Your alarms can inform you with an incredibly loud tone and a message to your mobile device. That’s when your 24/7 monitoring experts gets a hold of the fire department. And if you find yourself somewhere where you’re unable to get you your house when a fire blazes, you can be reassured that your monitoring agent will facilitate communication between you and first responders.
Get Your Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The possibility of house fires in Olympia should never be discounted, but you can have peace of mind if you use a monitored fire alarm in your home. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you place all the safety alarms you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (360) 200-8536 or send in the form below to get your home security system.